There is nothing quite like watching the sunrise from the summit of Mount Batur. It’s only around a 2-hour trek from base to summit and the effort will be rewarded with an epic sunrise over the ocean with spectacular views of Agung, Abang and Rinjani mountains and all the way to Lombok Island.
Trekking to the summit of Mt Batur isn’t that difficult from a technical level – it’s a steady climb that most people can achieve with an average level of fitness. The inclines aren’t that difficult, but the inexorable trek towards the mountain top will have you congratulating yourself when you reach the summit for having made the effort.
Trekking to Mt Batur Summit
After getting picked up from your hotel or villa, you’ll be driven to meet your personal guide for the trek at Toya Bungkah village and a safety briefing.
From there you will prepare you’ll start your trek around 4 am under a blanket of stars and climb safely at a pace that suits your group on your way to the summit, arriving around 6 am.
From the summit, you’ll watch the sky turn from dark purple to burnt orange and pink as the sun rises over the ocean to the east. Mount Batur is an active volcano and part of UNESCO’s Global Geopark Network. Standing at 1,717 meters (5,633 feet) above sea level the hike to the summit will be a highlight of your trip to Bali.
Daylight reveals the volcanic valley below and spectacular views of Mount Agung, Mount Abang and Mount Rinjani all the way to Lombok island.
After a light breakfast (banana, eggs and coffee or tea) you will be trekking back down the mountain past recent lava flows and the amazing volcanic landscape overlooking the crater lake.
Recommended Pick Up Times
If you want to see the sunrise on your Mount Batur Sunrise Trek you will need to be picked up at the following times.
- Nusa Dua, Tabanan, Tanah Lot, Uluwatu 01:00 AM
- Benoa, Canggu, Jimbaran, Kuta, Legian, Seminyak 01:15 AM
- Sanur 01:30 AM
- Gianyar, Ubud 02:00 AM
Checklist for Mt Batur Sunrise Trek
This is only advice, but I’ve been on some of the world’s greatest treks, and the one thing that always surprises me is seeing people completely unprepared for a trek.
I’ve seen several tourists start the trek up My Batur wearing flip-flops and carrying luggage like they were expecting to walk to a 5-star hotel and were surprised when they realised there was nothing but a volcanic plateau between them and the summit.
Sensible walking shoes, a warm sweater or fleece (a beanie is a good idea) and a small day pack for water and snacks will make for a more enjoyable adventure.
- A small day pack.
- Something warm for the upper body. A sweater or fleece at minimum, or a lightweight outer hiking shell. It’s surprisingly cooler from Toya Bungkah and much colder on the way to the summit before dawn. A t-shirt is not enough.
- Water bottle. There may be some entrepreneurial vendors on the path towards the summit that will sell water at extraordinary prices (good for them) but they are not always there, so relying on buying water on the way up is not recommended.
- Spare socks to change at the summit before the trek down.
- Sticking plasters in case of blisters. Handyplast is the local brand.
Mount Batur Sunrise Trek + Hot Springs
The best thing I can recommend after a Mount Batur Sunrise Trek is the Batur Natural Hot Springs located on the shores of Danau (Lake) Batur. A soak in these will cure the muscle soreness if you’re not used to trekking so much and make sure you’re nice and relaxed for your return to your hotel or villa for a nap beside the pool.
The cost of the hot springs is IDR350k which includes entry for swimming, towel and locker, with food and beverages not included.
01:30 – 02:30 am – Pick-up from Hotel or Villa
If you’re going to see the sunrise you have to head off early!
03:45 am – Toya Bungkah Village (starting point)
This is your starting point for the Mount Batur Sunrise Trek where you meet your guide.
05:45 am – The summit of Mt Batur (sunrise point)
Take your camera. This is going to be epic.
06:00 am – Crater rim trek
Fantastic views over the crater lake on the way back down.
08:30 am – Return to starting point
Back to Toya Bungkah Village.
09:00 am – Toya Bungkah Hot Springs
Time for a dip in the natural hot springs to soothe those aching muscles.
11:00 am – Tegalalang Rice Terraces
1:00 pm – Drop-off at Hotel or Villa
Back to your hotel or villa.
Mt Batur Sunrise Tour Map
- Toyota Avanza/Xenia or similar 6-seater SUV w/ air-con.
- English-speaking driver.
- Up to 12 hours of driving time.
- Includes the cost of a private car and driver for the entire tour, and your own private guide for the trek to the summit of Mt Batur for 1 – 5 people.
- Includes entry fee to Kintamani and a simple breakfast of banana, eggs, bread, coffee and tea at the summit.
- Headlamps and poles are provided.
Your itinerary is flexible, so if you choose to go over time you can simply pay your driver the extra IDR 100k per hour or part thereof.
- Food and beverages.
- Lunch or other meals on the route.
- Entry tickets to hot springs (optional).
Make a booking
Booking online is easy and secure. This website uses SSL Encryption and payments are secured by Stripe in 25 different currencies so you can easily see the exact cost in your home currency. I’ve been building online businesses and websites since 1995, so you can be assured your booking is completely secure.
I’m a technology entrepreneur and traveller and began Bali Holiday Secrets as a guide for friends and family who came to visit after I moved to Bali, and has grown to 80,000+ visitors a month.